The field of computer science has been on the rise for years now, and computer science students and laptops are in high demand. The computer sciences job market is expected to grow at twice the rate of other occupations. Computer science majors will have more opportunities than ever before!
What is the best laptops for computer science students? With so many options available, it can be difficult to decide which is best for you. We will discuss some of the best laptops for computer science majors in this blog post to help you figure out what you need.
Consider portability when choosing laptops a computer science students . Computer science requires extensive research, but students are also often required to work outside of the classroom as well. So you need something durable!
Best laptops for computer science students majors should be durable and lightweight enough to handle daily wear and tear while still being easy to carry around campus. For example, a Macbook Air or Pro, Chromebook, or even a gaming laptop would be ideal.
Make sure the laptop you choose has good reviews on Amazon (I’m not saying to buy from Amazon, just see what people have to say).
It’s possible to choose something more powerful if portability is not a top concern. In order to complete coursework and projects, many computer science majors will need to do some gaming or video editing.
This type of work requires a computer with a powerful graphics card (though they are also heavy). You’ll need an external GPU if your computer doesn’t have great internal specs.
Computer science students need laptops that can handle everything they can throw at it. Whether you need something lightweight and portable or heavy-duty and powerful, we have you covered! Let’s first examine all the features you may need in your laptop as a student of computer science.
Checklist For Buying Guide
Before purchasing a laptop, a computer science student should consider the following features:
Your computer’s heart is its Central Processing Unit, or CPU. As it is responsible for all the hard work, you will want something that can handle complex tasks. At least an Intel Core I series processor is recommended for computer science students. Computer science majors should look for laptops with a high-end CPU like the Intel Core I processors found in Macbooks Pro or Dell XPS.
You need a good graphics card for any laptop, but especially if you’re studying computer science. Gaming and video editing are common features of computer science courses. Most gaming laptops come with an excellent GPU pre-installed. Alternatively, you can always purchase an external graphics card to boost the performance of your computer if you don’t want to purchase a new laptop.
RAM is what allows your computer to run multiple programs at once without slowing down. The more RAM you have, the faster your computer will be. Computer science majors should have at least 16GB of RAM. High-end laptops may have up to 32GB of RAM!
That data you’ll be collecting needs a home! Make sure you choose a laptop with plenty of storage for computer science students. A minimum of 256GB of storage is recommended. The 256GB of storage might not be enough for computer science majors who are serious about data crunching, so we recommend getting an external hard drive (with cloud access).
The battery is one of the most important features to look for in a computer science laptop. Don’t get stuck without a charge in the middle of your research! A laptop with a great battery will last for at least 8 hours on a single charge.
Size of Screen
The size of your screen isn’t as important as some of the other factors we’ve discussed, but it’s still something you should keep in mind. If you’re doing a lot of work outside of class, you might prefer a larger screen size like 17 inches or bigger. The 13-inch or 14-inch screen will suffice for lectures and labs.
Windows is the operating system of choice for most computer science courses. We recommend buying an Apple computer with Windows installed through Bootcamp (a free piece of software that allows any computer to run multiple operating systems).
With a webcam, you can work more efficiently in class or in lab meetings. Video chat and conferencing become much easier since both participants can see each other face-to-face. Because of this, computer science students should look for at least 720p HD webcams when shopping.
Speakers for laptops
Consider purchasing external speakers like JBLs or Soundlink II Bluetooth speakers if your laptop doesn’t come with any. While watching lectures or working on group projects, good laptop speakers can make all the difference.
Choose a laptop with a comfortable keyboard! You will be able to type more easily in low-light settings with the best computer science laptops with backlit keyboards.
Computer science students need a good touchpad. It should be large enough to allow easy navigation and have multi-touch capabilities (so you can pinch and zoom).
Most computer science majors will use USB, HDMI, and Ethernet ports on a regular basis. Choose a computer with at least two USB ports (three or more is best).
Computer science students should look for laptops that are compatible with gigabit Wi-Fi when shopping around. You’ll get faster speeds and better connectivity to the school’s wireless network with this kind of internet!
Computing students need to carry their computers around campus, so weight is important. Choose a laptop that weighs less than 5 pounds.
Top 10 Best Laptops For Computer Science Students: Editor Recommended
Our selection of the best laptops for computer science students is provided in the table below. We’ve picked our top pick and the most budget-friendly.
The 10 Best Laptops For Computer Science Students Reviews:
ZenBook 15 heralds a new era of ultraportable design, with an ultracompact, ultralight chassis. Featuring the four-sided NanoEdge display, ZenBook 15 is 12% smaller than the previous generation ZenBook 15 (UX530) and weighs only 3.6 lbs The new ScreenPad 2.0 upgrades the traditional laptop experience, adding an interactive secondary touchscreen that enhances your productivity and gives you endless possibilities.
Its intuitive smartphone-like interface lets you easily manage tasks and create your own seamless multitasking workflow. There’s a series of handy ASUS utility apps to boost productivity including Quick Key — for one-tap automation of complex keyboard sequences — along with Handwriting, Number Key, Doc Xpert, Slide Xpert and Sheet Xpert. ScreenPad 2.0 intelligently fits many apps into the 5.65-inch touchscreen, and you can effortlessly add apps to ScreenPad for instant access.
The newly-optimized ScreenPad experience ensures that your favorite apps, such as Evernote and Spotify, will work perfectly on this secondary display right away, without the need for a ScreenPad-specific version. ASUS also works closely with third party developers, including video-editing software developer Corel, to optimize adaptive ScreenPad tools for the ultimate productivity — and there’s much more to come.
The actual transfer speed of USB 3.0, 3.1 (Gen 1 and 2), and/or Type-C will vary depending on many factors including the processing speed of the host device, file attributes and other factors related to system configuration and your operating environment.
- 15.6 inch wide-view 4K UHD 4-way NanoEdge bezel display with 92% screen to body ratio
- Innovative ScreenPad: 5.65-inch interactive touchscreen trackpad that adapts to your needs for smarter control and multitasking
- Latest 10th generation Intel Core i7-10510U Quad Core Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.9 GHz) with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q discrete graphics
- Fast storage and memory featuring 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD and 16GB RAM
- Works with Amazon Alexa Voice Service that helps you with tasks, entertainment, general information, and more.
- Built-in IR camera for facial recognition sign in with Windows Hello
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI, USB Type C, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), Bluetooth 5.0 and SD card reader (USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700U 1.8GHz 8-Core Processor up to 4.3GHz
Memory: Up to 64GB DDR4 RAM
Hard Drive: Up to 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Display: 15.6″ diagonal FHD, IPS, micro-edge, WLED-backlit, multitouch-enabled, edge-to-edge glass, 250 nits (1920 x 1080)
Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Backlit Keyboard: Yes
Ports: 1 x USB Type-C (10Gbps signaling rate, Power Delivery, DisplayPort 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge), 1 x USB Type-A (10Gbps signaling rate, HP Sleep and Charge), 1 x USB Type-A (10Gbps signaling rate), 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x AC smart pin, 1 x headphone/microphone combo
Video: AMD Radeon Graphics
Audio: Dual Speakers
Media Drive: 1 x multi-format SD media card reader
Optical Drive: None
Wireless Connectivity: Wireless-AC Wi-Fi 6 AX 200 (2×2) and Bluetooth 5 combo
Built-in HD Webcam with Microphone: Wide Vision 720p HD camera with camera shutter and integrated dual array digital microphones
Weight: 4.2 Pounds
Color: Nightfall Black
- Memory is 32GB high-bandwidth RAM to run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once smoothly, Hard Drive is 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive allows to fast bootup and data transfer, and ample storage space
- AMD Ryzen 7 5700U 1.8GHz Octa-Core Processor up to 4.3GHz, AMD Radeon Graphics
- 15.6″ diagonal FHD, IPS, micro-edge, WLED-backlit, multitouch-enabled, edge-to-edge glass, 250 nits (1920 x 1080)
- 1 x USB Type-C (10Gbps signaling rate, Power Delivery, DisplayPort 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge), 1 x USB Type-A (10Gbps signaling rate, HP Sleep and Charge), 1 x USB Type-A (10Gbps signaling rate), 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x AC smart pin, 1 x headphone/microphone combo, 1 x Multi-format SD media card reader, Wireless-AC Wi-Fi 6 AX 200 (2×2) and Bluetooth 5 combo
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Free Upgrade to Windows 11 When Available
Processor & Memory: 10th Gen Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor 1.3GHz 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM Drives: 2.0TB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Drive + 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Communications: 802.11 Wireless-AC Qualcomm DW1810 LAN + Bluetooth 4.1 Integrated Widescreen HD 720p Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone Array 10/100 Ethernet LAN Audio Stereo Speakers with MaxxAudio Pro
Graphics & Video: 17.3″ Anti-Glare LED-Backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Display 2GB NVIDIA GeForce MX230 Graphics Keyboard: Standard Keyboard Ports & Slots: 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C with Data Transition Only 1x USB 2.0 1x RJ-45 1x HDMI Out 1.4b 1x Combination Headphone/Microphone Jack 1x Media Card Reader Power Supply: 3-Cell 42WHr Battery Additional Information: Dimensions: 16.35″ x 10.99″ x 0.98″ Approximate Weight: 6.13 lbs
- 10th Gen Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor 1.3GHz
- 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
- 2.0TB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Drive + 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive
- DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)
- 17.3″ Anti-Glare LED-Backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Display and 2GB NVIDIA GeForce MX230 Graphics
Accessorize your lifestyle with the Lenovo Flex 5 14″ 2-in-1 Laptop. Ultra thin, lightweight, and ultra portable, the Flex 5 weighs in at just 3.64 lbs and is less than 1-inch thick when closed. Slim, stylish, and proudly powered by the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U mobile processor with Radeon graphics, you can carry this touchscreen laptop with you everywhere – digital pen included. The Flex 5 is designed for excellent all-around performance, graphics, and productivity, whether you’re enjoying entertainment at home, working in the office, or studying at school.
Keep your ideas flowing anywhere and anytime. The 360 hinge lets you quickly and easily turn your touchscreen laptop into a tablet for more intuitive interaction, letting you write easily with the included digital pen. Set your 2-in-1 laptop in tent-mode for sharing with friends or co-workers, or put your computer in stand mode when you’re binge-watching your favorite streaming show. With narrow bezels on all 4 sides, you’ll enjoy more viewing area and less clutter on the full high definition (1920 x 1080) IPS panel with 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolbsy Audio.
Other great features include a physical privacy shutter on the HD 720p camera with Fixed-Focus cmOS, 2×2 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11 ac) and Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity options, and 2 USB-A, 1 USB-C, and an HDMI port. You’ll also enjoy up to 10 hours of battery life, plus quick charge with a 65W adapter – only 1 hour of charge time gives you 80% power.
All battery life claims are approximate and based on results using the MobileMark 2014 battery life benchmark test. Actual battery life will vary and depends on many factors such as product configuration and usage, software use, wireless functionality, power management settings, and screen brightness. The maximum capacity of the battery will decrease with time and use.
- Thin, light, and stylish – This 2-in-1 laptop weighs just 3.64 pounds and is only 0.82″ thick. It’s soft and comfortable to the touch, with a durable paint that creates a better user experience. Digital pen included
- The 10-point, 14-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS touchscreen allows the Lenovo Flex 5 14″ 2-in-1 laptop to be comfortable, fun, and easy to use. It’s also great to look at, with 4-side narrow bezels
- The 360⁰ hinge lets you use your 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop in whatever mode works best for you; Use it in ‘Laptop’ mode for everyday computing, ‘Tent’ mode for sharing things, ‘Stand’ mode for binge-watching, or ‘Tablet’ mode for more intuitive interaction
- Enjoy up to 10 hours of battery life, plus quick charge to 80% in just 1 hour
- Powered by the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U mobile processor with Radeon graphics, you have the performance to do more, from anywhere. With more cores, you’ll experience responsiveness that leaps into action for productivity, gaming, and content creation
Acer Swift X SFX14-41G-R1S6 Creator Laptop | 14″ Full HD 100% sRGB | AMD Ryzen 7 5800U | NVIDIA RTX 3050Ti Laptop GPU | 16GB LPDDR4X | 512GB SSD | Wi-Fi 6 | Backlit KB | Amazon Alexa | Windows 10 Home
- Ultimate Performance. Uncompromised Battery Life: Speed up tasks with AMD Ryzen 7 5800U processor with Zen 3 Core Architecture, available for ultrathin laptops, so you can save time and get back to creating
- RTX, It’s On: The latest NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU (4GB GDDR6 VRAM) is powered by award-winning Ampere architecture with new Ray Tracing Cores, Tensor Cores, and streaming multiprocessors supporting DirectX 12 Ultimate for incredible creativity
- A True Visual Representation: Create your best content on the 14″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Widescreen LED-backlit 100% sRGB display with 300 nits brightness and 16:9 aspect ratio
- Internal Specifications: 16GB LPDDR4X memory (maximum 16GB); 512GB NVMe SSD; 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 Dual-Band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz featuring 2×2 MU-MIMO technology; Bluetooth 5.2
- Windows Hello with Fingerprint Reader: Biometric fingerprint reader and Windows Hello sign-in options help keep your Acer PC secure
- Using Alexa on your PC is as easy as asking a question. Just ask and Alexa can check your calendar, create lists, play music, answer questions, read the news and more.
- Made to Move: At just 3.06 lbs, this Acer Swift X laptop is ready to go where you go. The metal design is thin and lightweight, but packs a whole lot of battery power with fast charging capability
HP Pavilion 15 Laptop, 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD Storage, Full HD IPS micro-edge Display, Windows 10 Pro, Compact Design, Long Battery Life (15-eg0021nr, 2020)
- INSTANT GRATIFICATION – Experience a laptop with premium performance, so you can spend less time getting more done; it’s like a small PC that’s compact enough to go where you go with a long-lasting battery to power you through your day
- EPIC ENTERTAINMENT – With audio by B&O, a larger screen-to-body ratio, and a 15.6-inch Full HD micro-edged screen to maximize your view, entertainment on your laptop feels like bringing the theater home (1)
- IMPRESSIVE GRAPHICS – The Intel Iris Xe Graphics gives you a new level of graphics performance with crisp, stunning visuals, plus the convenience of a thin and light laptop (2)
- UNSTOPPABLE PERFORMANCE – Get things done fast with the 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor, which delivers instant responsiveness and best-in-class connectivity (3)
- MEMORY AND STORAGE – Enjoy up to 15x faster performance than a traditional hard drive with 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage (4) and experience improved multitasking with higher bandwidth thanks to 16 GB of RAM
- WORK ON THE GO – Get work done on the go with a long battery life of up to 8 hours (5) while HP Fast Charge lets you go from 0 to 50% charge in approximately 45 minutes (6)
- OS AND WARRANTY – Do more with better peace of mind thanks to the HP 1-year limited hardware warranty and the seamlessly integrated Windows 10 Pro operating system (7)
Dell i5502-5269SLV-PUS is thin and light, and engineered with: 11th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.2 GHz), 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Narrow Border WVA Display, 8GB 3200MHz DDR4, 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory, in Platinum Silver.
- Thin & light 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Narrow Border WVA Display
- 11th Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.2 GHz)
- 8GB 3200MHz DDR4, 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory
- Intel Wi-Fi 6 2×2 (Gig) Bluetooth 5.1
· AMD Quad Core Ryzen 5 3550H Processor (2.1Ghz, up to 3.7Ghz)
· 8GB DDR4 SDRAM
· 256GB Solid State Drive
· 15.6-inch FHD (1920×1080) Display
· Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics
· Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
· Wifi 802.11ac + Bluetooth 5.0
Dimensions and weight:
· Dimensions(W x D x H): 14.17″ W x 10.31″ D x 1.02″ H
· Weight (approximate): 4.85 lbs.
- AMD Quad Core Ryzen 5 3550H Processor (2.1Ghz, up to 3.7Ghz)
- 15.6-inch FHD (1920×1080) Display, Windows 10 Home 64 bit
- RGB Backlit Keyboard, 1×USB Type-A 2.0, 2×USB Type-A 3.1
- DTS surround sound, Wifi 802.11ac + Bluetooth 5.0
At the office, at home or en route, new Surface Pro 7 adapts to the way you work with laptop-to-tablet versatility. And now, it delivers more power than ever, with a laptop-class Intel Core processor, all-day battery, Instant On, improved graphics, and standby time — plus more multitasking connections, including both USB-C and USB-A ports.
- Next-gen, best-in-class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than Surface Pro 6, with a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer.
- More ways to connect, with both USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging
- Standout design that won’t weigh you down — ultra-slim and light Surface Pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds
- All-day battery life up to 10.5 hours, plus the ability to go from empty to full faster — about 80% in just over an hour
- Free Upgrade to Windows 11 when available (see below).
Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Intel i5-1035G1 Quad Core 12GB RAM 256GB SSD 15.6-inch Touch Screen Laptop
- 10th generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 processor. Dual-core, four-way intelligent processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don’t.
- 15.6-inch touchscreen for convenient control. Tap, tap, swipe and get the most out of Windows 10. HD TruBrite technology that expands color and clarity. 1366 x 768 typical HD resolution. Supports 720p content. Energy efficient LED backlighting.
- 12GB memory system for full power multitasking.
- 256GB Solid State Drive (PCI-e). Save files quickly and store more data. With large amounts of storage and advanced communication power, PCI-e SSDs are ideal for major gaming applications, multiple servers, daily backups, and more.
- Wired wireless connectivity (WiFi 5 – 802.11 ac), integrated HD webcam with microphone. Windows 10 Home. Weighs 4.07 lbs. and measures 0.78″ thin
Get the most out of your next computer by figuring out what you really need. The best laptops for computer science students are those that provide plenty of power and performance without breaking the bank.
Students should find this list helpful in choosing the perfect computer for their needs. Whether you are looking for a laptop that is easy to use, affordable, and powerful enough to run most applications, as well as one that is comfortable to type on, the Acer Swift is a great option.
Here are a few other notebooks that can handle current PC games well, as well:
- Which is The Best MacBook Pro Alternative
- The Best Multimedia Notebook for 2022
- Laptops for Interior Design, You Can Pick Your Best
Last update on 2022-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API