PC gamers like the option of being able to play alone or with others, but nothing beats the feeling of tackling a game solo and reaping the rewards of your hard work alone. We’ve rounded up the best single player PC games so far this year so you can experience some of the greatest titles ever made for the solo gamer.
Gamers are usually happy doing all kinds of gaming, but when you get them alone and with their favorite game this is where they really start to shine. Single player PC games are where it all began, and although you can have a lot of fun playing with others, nothing beats this solo experience. Finding the best single player PC games of
the year isn’t hard to do, as there have already been some great titles emerging. We’ve rounded up the best so far that have been designed for single players, so if this style of gaming is up your alley then you’ll have plenty of great options to choose from.
Why Single Player Games Are Best
Ask any PC gamer which they prefer, and they’ll likely tell you that going it alone has so many more benefits. Sure, there’s the camaraderie and communication you get when you play a multiplayer game, but nothing compares to single player games. The best benefit is being able to enjoy the game at your own pace without others rushing you or making you fall behind. You’re in total control of the experience, including what time you play and for how long you get to enjoy it.
With these benefits in mind, it takes a truly great game to keep you captivated as you won’t have the thrill of others to keep you going. Single player games must be good enough to grab your attention and hold it, and thankfully 2018 has seen some already stellar titles added to the list.
The Best Single Player PC Games Of 2019
Single player PC games have never gone out of style, and game creators have only managed to make them more enticing and challenging than ever before. Here are our picks for the best single player PC games to have emerged this year, giving you a taste of just how diverse this style of gaming is.
- Endless adventure including hunts, battles and mini-games. New Zodiac Job system with improved battle mechanics. New Game Plus and New Game Minus. Newly implemented trophies.
- True 7.1 Surround sound including HD voicing and fully remastered music. Compatible with 21:9 ultra wide monitors.
- 60 FPS - Ivalice will look even more spectacular running at 60FPS
No, this isn’t a new game as such, but it’s 2018 release for the PC makes it allowed on our list. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age has been rendered and given a new soundtrack, lending it a much more modern feel. The best parts have been left to stay though, including the gameplay and characters, but it will feel far more realistic than any PS2 version you ever played. Even those new to this series would be seriously impressed, so it’s one to play for sure.
- EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
- ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization's progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.
- DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
- COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the "one unit per tile" design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful "Corps" units.
- ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
If you’re a gamer who prefers to devote their time and efforts to something monumental like building cities and societies, Civilization VI is for you. Following the same format of their other popular games, this requires you to start from a Stone Age tribe and transform it into a powerful empire. You can get lost for hours in this game which is the mark of something great, and because you’re playing alone there’ll be no pesky intruders telling you how you should raise your society.
- Styx returns in a new stealth adventure!
- Explore and master huge open environments, sneak past or assassinate new enemies and bosses, and experiment with the new array of lethal abilities and weapons in our goblin assassin's arsenal.
For those gamers who take their stealth very seriously, check out Styx: Shards of Darkness. This is way more intense than Assassin’s Creed and a lot harder than Dishonored, and there are no magic fixes to help you out. Shards of Darkness retails for around $40 and it’s well worth the cost because you’ll be given hours and days of action. The key is not to engage in combat, which might sound easy, but it’s not, so you’ll have to learn quite a bit to avoid it.
- '7' marks a new beginning for survival horror with the "Isolated View" of the visceral new first-person perspective.
- Powered by the RE Engine
Will they ever stop making these games, and will we ever stop loving them? Probably not. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is the latest in this line of titles and marks a long-awaited return of the horror-themed games. Be prepared to get scared from anything that goes bump in the night when you play, and stick to daylight hours if you’re easily spooked. Resident Evil requires you to stay calm under pressure, so if this doesn’t sound like something you’re capable of, move on.
- Become the legendary lone warrior as you craft and upgrade his equipment and weapons in order to survive in a brutal post-apocalyptic world.
- Fight with savage moves and combos to brutalize the deranged bandits of the Wasteland.
- Engage in dynamic, physics-based vehicular combat, taking down enemy vehicles with a slew of deadly weapons and customizable parts.
- Choose from different car bodies and construct the ultimate war vehicle with dozens of upgrade combinations.
- Explore an immense post-apocalyptic open world full of unique missions and side quests.
If you loved the movie and wanted to know what it felt like wandering around the desert in this post-apocalyptic nightmare, your wait is up. Mad Max is moody, somber, and a whole lot of fun, plus features a stellar soundtrack to match. For under $10 through Amazon, the price can’t be beaten, and it will prove to you that you
don’t need friends to have fun in the middle of nowhere during an open world adventure.
- Next generation of open-world gaming
- Developed by Bethesda Game Studios under the direction of Todd Howard
- Fallout 4 is the follow up to the 2008 'Game of the Year' Fallout 3
- First title from the world-renowned studio since the release of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Four games in and no signs of slowing down, Fallout 4 is already taking the gaming world by storm. Some people are still enjoying the older versions thanks to the mod community, and this one will likely be the same. The famous post-apocalyptic RPG is one of the biggest in the world and follows the story of you trying to reclaim your son among the ruins of civilization. There’s combat, weaponry, and a great storyline and map filled with plenty of colorful characters to encounter.
- Extensive single player: Featuring next generation gameplay and a wildly-engrossing story.
- Complete two-person co-op: Multiplayer game featuring its own dedicated story, characters, and gameplay.
- Advanced physics: Allows for the creation of a whole new range of interesting challenges, producing a much larger but not harder game.
- Massive sequel: The original Portal was named 2007's Game of the Year by over 30 publications worldwide.
- The single-player portion of Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements
If puzzles are more your scene, you can enjoy one of the year’s best with Portal. This game provides hours of fun and it’s extremely addictive, so don’t say we didn’t warn you. Using a portal gun and your own smarts, you’ll have to make your way through challenging levels all the while being taunted by a maniacal AI friend. There’s not a lot to it in terms of learning the functions, but the puzzles are not for the faint-hearted or slow-witted.
- Exclusive Case Artwork
- Game Soundtrack
- and Artbook
- Roguevania: The progressive exploration of an interconnected world, with the replayability of a rogue-lite and the adrenaline pumping threat of permadeath.
- 2D Souls-lite Action: Tough but fair combat, the iconic dodge roll, more than 90 weapons and spells with unique gameplay The unforgiving action wed to the absence of any kind of safety net makes for an adrenalin pumping ride each and every run.
This is another early access game that seems to stand out from the rest, with a clever 2D pixelated look that resembles games from another time. Your goal is to make it to the end of the run which is no easy feat, but each time you fail you’ll get more weapons and skill to add. Dead Cells keeps things interesting by making multiple exits on each level and giving you the opportunity to strive towards something new each time.
- - A rich world of steam-driven robots, inspired by Steampunk and Western themes.
- - Explore an underground world full of secrets, treasure and terrors.
- - Uncover the remnants of human civilization, a degenerate race of dynamite-wielding troglodytes.
- - Randomized worlds with emergent gameplay.
You might remember the classic SteamWorld Dig game which had everyone enthralled, even if it was lacking a little in terms of graphics. SteamWorld Dig 2 changes all of that and offers players a bright and futuristic experience of mining for jewels underneath an old Western town. The jewels you find are just half the fun, with the journey and cute graphics being the rest of it. This is a fun little game that presents a very real opportunity to get lost for hours inside it.
- Fast, fluid and frenetic combat - PlatinumGames bring their signature action mechanics to the shooter genre: boosting, evading, Augmented Reaction mode, and more "
- Kinetic melee moves - unique offensive and defensive moves that vary with your loadout
- Deadly firepower - command a vast arsenal of high-tech weapons, including all DLC weapons
- Legions of enemies - a huge variety of enemies to take down, from robot grunts to epic giant boss battles, all with smart AI
- Spectacular environments -- fight your way through SC-01 Providence space colony, high-tech sci-fi battleground of the future
This serious steam powered game will cost you around $19.95 to play and it gets rid of the need to have any other combat games in your arsenal. You play an Iron Man figure who basically flies around doing flips off robots and shooting saw blades. All in all, the entire campaign takes about six hours but there are plenty of ways to play it. For the price, it’s excellent value for money and one for those who like their combat a little over the top.
- In box physical content: A stunning 150 page Art Book (featuring art from the new Artorias of the Abyss game content) Original Soundtrack CD DVD containing the complete behind the scenes video series Poster Postcards This edition will include an online match-making feature for co-op or player vs. player gameplay, allowing gamers to showcase their skills against other Dark Souls players around the world. Dark Souls' dungeon crawling, dragon brawling, tension-filled action features fearsome enemy encounters in an complex world full of extreme battles, rewarding challenges, nuanced weaponry and powerful magic, while offering players the flexibility to customize each character to suit any desired play style. The innovative online component allows gamers to draw from the collective experience of the Dark Souls community as they either help or sabotage each other on the journey through the world of Lordran to save the land from darkness. With a massive, open world design, Dark Souls encourages deep exploration and an adaptable gameplay experience.
The 2018 Prepare to Die Edition of Dark Souls probably doesn’t need much explaining, as it’s one of the biggest games around. However, if you’re looking for a quality single player PC experience then this is it. There’s a lot of combat and a lot of learning to get good at the game, but once you know the basics you’ll get lost for hours within. Once you become accustomed to this one, you can try any of the others in the series and fall in love even more.
- Ushering in a new era for the METAL GEAR franchise with cutting-edge technology powered by the Fox Engine, METAL GEAR SOLID V: The Phantom Pain will provide players a first-rate gaming experience as they are offered tactical freedom to carry out open-world missions.
Another series that shows no signs of slowing down is Metal Gear Solid, and this one marks the perfect game for those who want to play alone. The Phantom Pain is a little different from their other titles as there’s less focus on story and more on combat. It’s not so obvious though and there’s a lot of stealth required, so expect a lot of crawling and sneaking around. In terms of fun, it really can’t be beaten.
Technically a reboot of the 2016 game, but still making it on our list, is Hitman: Game of the Year Edition. Everything in this third-person shooter feels the same but only better, and you’ll get a bunch of new missions to try out as well. Playing the role of Agent 47, it’s up to you to save the world by taking on missions for an international organization. It’s as close to being Bond as you’ll ever get to do, so you make as well take them up on the offer.
- Blends the best of Action and RPG: the perfect mix of combat, stealth, hacking, and social game-play
- Customize and upgrade your character with more than 50 unique augmentations that support your style of play
- Over 20 available weapons, each with their own customizable elements to fight enemies in epic boss battles
- Play in an open-ended world where there are always multiple solutions to every challenge
- Discover a unique world that blends near future and Renaissance elements while visiting multiple unique locations
This seriously cool game is a third person adventure set in a time that will amaze you. With a sort of futuristic dystopian feel to it, Deus Ex is unlike other games out at the moment. You can play it as an action game or a stealth one, and each will give you different results.
- In Prey, you awaken aboard Talos I, a space station orbiting the moon in the year 2032.
- You are the key subject of an experiment meant to alter humanity forever - but things have gone terribly wrong.
- The space station has been overrun by hostile aliens and you are now being hunted.
With a title that simple you could be mistaken for thinking the game is too, but you couldn’t be more wrong. Prey is a terrifying first-person shooter that will leave you shaking in your gaming chair with a heart rate to match. If your idea of fun is battling with slimy black shapeshifters then this will be right up your alley, and for less than $20 to enjoy, who wouldn’t jump at the chance? This is a must-have for fans of the space genre but great for anyone who likes their gaming with a bit of intensity.
- A Relentless Campaign: There is no taking cover or stopping to regenerate health as you beat back Hell's raging demon hordes
- Return of id Multiplayer: Dominate your opponents in DOOM's signature, fast-paced arena-style combat
- Near-Limitless Gameplay: DOOM SnapMap - A powerful, but easy-to-use game and level editor that allows for limitless gameplay experiences on every platform
If you’d have told us that we’d still be playing, and loving, Doom all these years later, we probably would have believed you. This is the fourth instalment in the first person shooter that was made famous all those years ago, and after a long hiatus, this latest version seems to be their best yet. Doom is packed full of crazy creatures and fun weapons, but it’s been given a modern makeover to ensure it keeps up with the rest of the pack. For less than $20 on Amazon, you can’t go wrong.
- XCOM ON THE RUN: Take command of the Avenger, an alien supply craft converted to XCOM's mobile headquarters. Guide your strike force around the world, build popular support and expose the aliens' sinister plans.
- RECRUIT RESISTANCE FIGHTERS: Five soldier classes, each with its own skill tree including new class abilities like Momentum, let you create specific soldiers for your tactical plan.
- TACTICAL GUERRILLA COMBAT: New gameplay systems offer more tactical flexibility in combat. The state of the world affects each combat mission's environment. Use concealment to ambush enemy patrols. Loot enemies for precious gear and artifacts. Rescue VIPs and save fallen comrades by carrying them to the extraction point.
- A NEW BREED OF ENEMY: A diverse cast of enemies from powerful new alien species to the ADVENT, enforcers of the alien regime, offer a distinct tactical challenge.
- RESEARCH, DEVELOP AND UPGRADE: Configure and build rooms on the Avenger to give XCOM new capabilities on the battlefield. Use your Scientists and Engineers to research, develop and upgrade weapons and armor to fit your preferred tactics.
This is a game for the thinkers and it can take you to vastly different scenarios in a matter of moments. XCOM2 and its War of the Chosen expansion pack allow you to do everything from battle aliens to managing a society that needs your help. You have to be extremely tactical and prepared to think things through before acting, otherwise, the game will not end very well for you. Priced at around $15 through Steam, it’s definitely worth the cost.
- The biggest, most dynamic and most diverse open world ever created and now packed with layers of new detail.
- Grand Theft Auto V blends storytelling and gameplay in new ways as players repeatedly jump in and out of the lives of the game's three lead characters, playing all sides of the game's interwoven story.
- Grand Theft Auto V also comes with Grand Theft Auto Online, the dynamic and ever-evolving Grand Theft Auto universe for multiple players.
As the first game many of us played on the PC, it’s great to see that GTA is still a fan favorite for single player games. The 2018 edition of Grand Theft Auto V has a lot more detail, breathing new life into the classic. This is about as open as it gets in terms of gaming so you’ll never run out of things to do in Los Santos.